Iran Rejects US Hotline Request
News number: 9107118530 18:53 | 2012-11-11
TEHRAN (FNA)- Iran rejected a US demand for setting up a direct military
hotline between the two countries' armies, the Iranian Supreme Leader's top
military aide said Sunday.
"The US had requested Iran for setting up a direct hotline and Iran rejected
the request," senior Military Aide to the Supreme Leader of Islamic
Revolution Major General Yahya Rahim Safavi announced on Sunday.
The US asked Tehran last year for establishing a hotline between the
military forces of the two arch foes in a move to avoid unwanted
confrontations in the Persian Gulf. Tehran turned down the request a few
It is not clear if Safavi's remarks pointed to the same US demand or if the
latter has made a second request for the establishment of such a direct
military line between the two sides.
The US defense officials announced in 2011 that Pentagon was considering
setting up a direct military hotline with Iran after a series of close
encounters between US and Iranian forces in the Persian Gulf.
Iran's top military commanders quickly rejected the offer, arguing that the
offer was basically wrong because the region's affairs and security "are not
at all related to the Americans who have travelled half the world to reach
the Persian Gulf."
Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Navy Ali Fadavi was
the first Iranian top commander who rejected the US request for establishing
the "red phone" link, saying the US itself would reject such an offer if
Iran deployed around its coastal water.
"We would establish direct contact with the United States if we would ever
go to the Gulf of Mexico," he had said.