October 10th, 2005
IDF SPOKESPERSON ANNOUNCEMENT
Easing of Restrictions on the Palestinian population during month of
In light of the "Ramadan" holiday during the month of October and as
part of the efforts being made to allow the Palestinian population as
much normalcy in their daily lives and the freedom to observe religious
rituals, the IDF will ease restrictions on the general closure of Judea
The measures to be taken in Judea and Samaria are:
* Authorization for 4,000 worshipers aged 45 and upwards to visit
the temple mount on every Friday of the "Ramadan" holiday, starting
October 7th 2005, without the need for permits (the only condition being
a full security check at the seam line crossings and different
* Authorization for 450 Muslim clergymen to enter east Jerusalem
and 100 additional Muslim clergymen to enter Israel.
* Authorization for 150 Christian teachers and 400 Muslim teachers
to enter east Jerusalem.
* Authorization for 150 Waqff employees from Judea and Samaria to
enter the temple mount
* Authorization for approximately 100 senior merchants to enter
* Authorization for 2,000 workers to enter Israel in order to
participate in the olive harvest.
The IDF recognizes the sensitivity of the "Ramadan" period and will make
the utmost effort to act accordingly with the Palestinian population as
they observe this holiday while maintaining complete and thorough
security checks in the seam line security crossings and checkpoints.
These measures taken to ease restrictions come in addition to the
reopening of the Karni crossing yesterday, allowing for the passage of
goods in and out of the Gaza Strip.