IMRA Middle East News Updates https://www.imra.org.il Middle East News & Analysis en-US 1663909758 1663909758 http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss Capalon Internet 2.0 imra@netvision.net.il (Aaron Lerner) News & Analysis IMRA Middle East News Updates https://www.imra.org.il https://www.imra.org.il/imra_sm.png 144 97 Israel Democracy Institute Poll: Israelis Oppose Two State Solution https://www.imra.org.il/story.php?id=73886 <p>Content preview: Israel Democracy Institute Poll: Israelis Oppose Two State<br /> Solution Deal 46.8%:40.8% (Women Oppose 51.2%:32.5%) Dr. Aaron Lerner 23<br /> September 2022 “If Israel and the Palestinian Authority reach agreement<br /> on a peace accord, would you support or not support the accord, if it includes<br /> dividing the Land of Israel into two states, Israel and the Pa [...] <br /> <br /> Content analysis details: (0.0 points, 5.0 required)<br /> <br /> pts rule name description<br /> ---- ---------------------- --------------------------------------------------<br /> -0.0 RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE RBL: Sender listed at https://www.dnswl.org/,<br /> no trust<br /> [194.90.9.20 listed in list.dnswl.org]<br /> 0.0 RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_H3 RBL: Good reputation (+3)<br /> [194.90.9.20 listed in wl.mailspike.net]<br /> -0.0 SPF_PASS SPF: sender matches SPF record<br /> 0.0 SPF_HELO_NONE SPF: HELO does not publish an SPF Record<br /> 0.0 RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_WL Mailspike good senders<br /> SpamTally: Final spam score: -40<br /> X-Antivirus-Scanner: Clean mail though you should still use an Antivirus</p> <p>Israel Democracy Institute Poll: Israelis Oppose Two State Solution Deal<br /> 46.8%:40.8% (Women Oppose 51.2%:32.5%)<br /> Dr. Aaron Lerner 23 September 2022</p> <p>“If Israel and the Palestinian Authority reach agreement on a peace accord,<br /> would you support or not support the accord, if it includes dividing the<br /> Land of Israel into two states, Israel and the Palestinian state?”</p> <p>Male<br /> Certain support 19.5%<br /> Think support 29.5%<br /> Total support 49.0%<br /> Think oppose 12.6%<br /> Certain oppose 29.7%<br /> Total oppose 42.3%<br /> Don't know 8.7%<br /> Total 100%</p> <p>Female<br /> Certain support 11.2%<br /> Think support 21.3%<br /> Total support 32.5%<br /> Think oppose 16%<br /> Certain oppose 35.2%<br /> Total oppose 51.2%<br /> Don't know 16.3%<br /> Total 100%</p> <p>Total<br /> Certain support 15.4%<br /> Think support 25.4%<br /> Total support 40.8%<br /> Think oppose 14.3%<br /> Certain oppose 32.5%<br /> Total oppose 46.8%<br /> Don't know 12.5%<br /> Total 100%</p> <p>The June 2022 Israeli Voice Index was prepared by the Viterbi Family Center<br /> for Public Opinion and Policy Research at the Israel Democracy Institute.<br /> The survey was conducted via the internet and by telephone (to include<br /> groups that are under-represented on the internet) between June 27 and June<br /> 29, 2022, with 601 men and women interviewed in Hebrew and 154 in Arabic,<br /> constituting a nationally representative sample of the adult population in<br /> Israel aged 18 and over. The maximum sampling error was ±3.59% at a<br /> confidence level of 95%. Field work was carried out by Midgam Research and<br /> Consulting Ltd.<br /> ________________________________________<br /> IMRA - Independent Media Review and Analysis</p> <p>Since 1992 providing news and analysis on the Middle East with a focus on <br /> Arab-Israeli relations</p> <p>Website: www.imra.org.il</p> Fri, 23 Sep 2022 01:09:18 -0400 https://www.imra.org.il/story.php?id=73886 Weekly Commentary: PM Lapid said Pal State if pigs could fly - yet crowned Netanyahu? (and the real headline) https://www.imra.org.il/story.php?id=73885 <p>Weekly Commentary: PM Lapid said Pal State if pigs could fly - yet crowned <br /> Netanyahu? (and the real headline) <br /> Dr. Aaron Lerner 22 September 2022 <br /> <br /> Prime Minister Yair Lapid told the United Nations General Assembly in New <br /> York today that: <br /> <br /> "An agreement with the Palestinians, based on two states for two peoples, is <br /> the right thing for Israel's security, for Israel's economy and for the <br /> future of our children." <br /> <br /> BUT <br /> <br /> " We have only one condition: <br /> That a future Palestinian state will be a peaceful one. <br /> That it will not become another terror base from which to threaten the <br /> well-being, and the very existence of Israel. <br /> That we will have the ability to protect the security of all the citizens of <br /> Israel, at all times." <br /> <br /> In other words: if pigs could fly. <br /> <br /> Most Israelis don't read more than a headline so they won't be aware of the <br /> if pigs could fly caveat. <br /> <br /> The left - some of whom think pigs can fly - will praise him. But Lapid's <br /> remarks at the UNGA won't cause one Labor or Meretz supporter to vote for <br /> Yesh Atid. <br /> <br /> At the same time, Lapid not only managed to convince some "moderate right" <br /> NOT to vote for Yesh Atid - he succeeded to prompt disgruntled members of <br /> the national camp who were thinking of staying home this round to go and <br /> cast a ballot for one of the right wing parties! <br /> <br /> Here is the REAL headline from Mr. Lapid's remarks: <br /> <br /> "If the Iranian regime gets a nuclear weapon, they will use it." <br /> <br /> Twelve words which have Lapid reject the argument made by so many "experts" <br /> in leading Israeli think tanks and even inside our military who maintain <br /> that Iran seeks nukes to prevent regime change. <br /> <br /> Now if you think Iran seeks nukes only to prevent regime change then the <br /> measures you are willing to take to stop a nuclear Iran are magnitudes <br /> different than if you think that "if the Iranian regime gets a nuclear <br /> weapon, they will use it." <br /> <br /> ________________________________________ <br /> IMRA - Independent Media Review and Analysis <br /> <br /> Since 1992 providing news and analysis on the Middle East with a focus on <br /> Arab-Israeli relations <br /> <br /> Website: www.imra.org.il</p> Thu, 22 Sep 2022 16:33:48 -0400 https://www.imra.org.il/story.php?id=73885 PSR Poll: 68% of Gazans support Hamas' decision not to become directly involved in the armed exchange between Islamic Jihad and the Israeli army https://www.imra.org.il/story.php?id=73884 <p>PSR Poll: 68% of Gazans support Hamas' decision not to become directly <br /> involved in the armed exchange between Islamic Jihad and the Israeli army <br /> <br /> Palestinian Center for Policy and Survey Research (PSR) poll number 85 in <br /> the West Bank and the Gaza Strip between 13 and 17 September 2022. Total <br /> size of the sample is 1270 adults interviewed face to face in 127 randomly <br /> selected locations. Margin of error is +/-3%. <br /> <br /> For complete results http://www.pcpsr.org/en/node/916 <br /> <br /> 85% oppose`12% support PA announcement that the salaries of Palestinian <br /> laborers who work in Israel will be paid to them via Palestinian banks. <br /> <br /> 68% of Gazans support Hamas' decision not to become directly involved in the <br /> armed exchange between Islamic Jihad and the Israeli army. <br /> <br /> 41% willing 55% not willing to use the Israeli Ramon airport, located near <br /> Elate, instead of the Amman or Cairo airports <br /> <br /> Two-thirds think it was right for Abbas to use the "Holocaust" in reference <br /> to Israeli massacres against Palestinians during his visit to Germany; 26% <br /> think it was wrong for him to use that term. <br /> <br /> Two-thirds would not welcome 31% would welcome support to Palestinians in <br /> East Jerusalem, the West Bank, and the Gaza Strip from the Arab countries <br /> that recently normalized relations with Israel. <br /> <br /> ________________________________________ <br /> IMRA - Independent Media Review and Analysis <br /> <br /> Since 1992 providing news and analysis on the Middle East with a focus on <br /> Arab-Israeli relations <br /> <br /> Website: www.imra.org.il</p> Tue, 20 Sep 2022 12:32:50 -0400 https://www.imra.org.il/story.php?id=73884 Immigrants from Yugoslavia since Hareidi men lack job skills - Yahadut Hatorah leader Rabbi Yitzchak Goldknopf offers solutions https://www.imra.org.il/story.php?id=73883 <p>Immigrants from Yugoslavia since Hareidi men lack job skills - Yahadut Hatorah <br /> leader Rabbi Yitzchak Goldknopf offers solutions <br /> Dr. Aaron Lerner 17 September 2022 <br /> <br /> In a sweeping interview published in the Friday edition of Haaretz Market <br /> Week, the new head of Yahadut Hatorah, Rabbi Yitzchak Goldknopf shared his <br /> ideas for solving Israel's problems and more: <br /> <br /> #1. That Hareidi men lack job skills: "Nu, that's why we are bringing in <br /> immigrants from Yugoslavia." <br /> <br /> #2. That living off of payments rather than men in households working is <br /> difficult: "We should add more products to price control supervision and <br /> make a basket of products which are accessible to everyone in the State. <br /> You cannot give NIS 900 via National Insurance and then say that you start <br /> the month with expenses of NIS 1,500. " <br /> <br /> #3. Why Hareidi boys don't have to learn English in school: "You think that <br /> the younger generation doesn't know English? They know it. They learn via <br /> books, a course. They learn by themselves. We do not think that not <br /> learning the basic skills is a detriment, and we do not think that if they <br /> are needed that it should be in school. And this is true for many things. <br /> If you reach the age of 20 and decide to learn high tech, that's OK." <br /> <br /> #4. Why the Ministry of Education should not supervise Hareidi schools: <br /> "There are tens of thousands of educational institutions in Israel, why are <br /> only Hareidis required to get a license?" (reporter noted that all schools <br /> need a license.) <br /> <br /> #5. How Rabbi Yitzchak Goldknopf benefited from not knowing English himself: <br /> when he visited South Africa to raise money the receptionist at offices of <br /> the Morgenstern family in Johannesburg was so frustrated by the inability to <br /> communicate with him that instead of screening him out like other fund <br /> raisers she let him go up to the executive offices. <br /> <br /> ________________________________________ <br /> IMRA - Independent Media Review and Analysis <br /> <br /> Since 1992 providing news and analysis on the Middle East with a focus on <br /> Arab-Israeli relations <br /> <br /> Website: www.imra.org.il</p> Sat, 17 Sep 2022 15:20:45 -0400 https://www.imra.org.il/story.php?id=73883 Weekly Commentary: Netanyahu Needs Acceptable Carrots To Save Economy If Yields To Hareidi Demands https://www.imra.org.il/story.php?id=73882 <p>Weekly Commentary: Netanyahu Needs Acceptable Carrots To Save Economy If <br /> Yields To Hareidi Demands <br /> Dr. Aaron Lerner 14 August, 2022 <br /> <br /> Binyamin Netanyahu is well aware that if Hareidi boys aren't taught English <br /> and math so that they are equipped with the basic knowledge needed to <br /> acquire the work skills needed to be productive workers and Hareidi men <br /> don't participate in the labor force that we face economic disaster. <br /> <br /> But to win over the support of the Hareidi parties Mr. Netanyahu is ready to <br /> pull the only "carrot" to encourage Hareidi institutions to teach English <br /> and math: full versus partial school funding. <br /> <br /> And now Shas leader Deri is effectively talking about a stick to punish <br /> Hareidi families where the father works on the books by introducing food <br /> stamps limited to families with the low incomes that a family typically will <br /> exceed if both the husband and wife work on the books. <br /> <br /> To be clear: this isn't some kind of cultural war to somehow collapse <br /> Hareidi society by giving Haredi boys English and math skills. <br /> <br /> Its our country which could face economic collapse in the years to come if a <br /> substantial segment of the population lacks the skills needed to be <br /> productive workers or opts not to work altogether. <br /> <br /> On the other hand. barring an incredible surprise at the polls, Binyamin <br /> Netanyahu will need the support of all of the Hareidi parties to become <br /> prime minister. <br /> <br /> The question is if Netanyahu can come up with the "carrots" to induce <br /> Hareidi boys to learn English and Math and Hareidi men to go to work. <br /> <br /> "Carrots" which would be acceptable to his Hareidi partners. <br /> <br /> I daresay that if he unveiled such a program before we go to the polls that <br /> it would make a huge contribution towards a Likud victory. <br /> <br /> ________________________________________ <br /> IMRA - Independent Media Review and Analysis <br /> <br /> Since 1992 providing news and analysis on the Middle East with a focus on <br /> Arab-Israeli relations <br /> <br /> Website: www.imra.org.il</p> Wed, 14 Sep 2022 17:13:42 -0400 https://www.imra.org.il/story.php?id=73882 Weekly Commentary: Is Deployment of Attack Drones In Judea and Samaria a PR Stunt or Life Saver? https://www.imra.org.il/story.php?id=73881 <p>Weekly Commentary: Is Deployment of Attack Drones In Judea and Samaria a PR <br /> Stunt or Life Saver? <br /> Dr. Aaron Lerner 8 September 2022 <br /> <br /> Israel Television Channel 11 News reported on 6 September that the <br /> commanders of the Judea and Samaria Division and the Menashe Brigade (which <br /> is responsible for Jenin) underwent training by the Israel Air Force on the <br /> operation of attack drones. The report noted that, thanks to the <br /> training,these commanders will be able to operate attack drones with the <br /> Division commander having the authority to "activate" this "attack tool". <br /> <br /> By sheer coincidence, this development was revealed just as we found <br /> ourselves in a shouting match with America over the right of Israeli <br /> soldiers to defend themselves. <br /> <br /> "I will not allow an IDF soldier that was protecting himself from terrorist <br /> fire to be prosecuted just to receive applause from abroad. No one will <br /> dictate our rules of engagement to us, when we are the ones fighting for our <br /> lives. Our soldiers have the full backing of the government of Israel and <br /> the people of Israel." <br /> <br /> Prime Minister Lapid yesterday. <br /> <br /> Almost every time Israeli security forces enter an urban area to capture a <br /> terrorist they find their lives on the line as gunmen in nearby buildings <br /> and elsewhere try to murder them with a rain of bullets. <br /> <br /> Will the attack drones be used to silence this gunfire? <br /> <br /> Will the use of attack drones be integrated into daily operations as an <br /> important force multiplier and even as a "first responder" in some <br /> circumstances? <br /> <br /> Since our use of attack drones is no longer a secret banned from publication <br /> by the military censor, we will know soon enough. <br /> <br /> ________________________________________ <br /> IMRA - Independent Media Review and Analysis <br /> <br /> Since 1992 providing news and analysis on the Middle East with a focus on <br /> Arab-Israeli relations <br /> <br /> Website: www.imra.org.il</p> Thu, 08 Sep 2022 11:57:33 -0400 https://www.imra.org.il/story.php?id=73881