Sinai Troops Coming Home
May 28 2016
by Maika Bolatiki, SUVA
Fiji Sun Online
Video of interview:
Fijian peacekeepers in Sinai will be returning home soon because of rising
tension and escalating violence from so-called Islamic State militants.
Republic of Fiji Military Forces (RFMF) director peacekeeping, Commander
Humphrey Tawake, confirmed the pullout yesterday.
He said as of yesterday over 50 per cent of the Fijian troops had been
relocated from the North Camp to the South Camp in Sham Al Sheik.
He said this was the part of the Multinational Force and Observers (MFO)
reconfiguration under the current deteriorating situation in the North of
He said in North Sinai, Fiji had closed two outside checkpoints as the
As of yesterday 165 Fijian soldiers from North Sinai were in South Sinai.
The rest of the soldiers would be redeployed for safety reasons.
A total of 338 Fijian soldiers are in North Sinai. He said as soon as they
were all in South Sinai, arrangements would be made for their return home.
Commander Tawake said when they arrived home they would be deployed to other
units as most of them had financial commitments to settle. He assured
families and the nation that all troops were safe and well from the last
report received yesterday.
The RFMF Chief of Staff Colonel Litea Seruiratu also confirmed the soldiers’
She said “there are contingency plans put in place for the returning
Colonel Seruiratu assured the families that they should not be alarmed as
the soldiers were safe.
The move, she said, was taken because of the safety of the soldiers.
She said the RFMF Commander, Rear Admiral Viliame Naupoto, was aware of the
situation and had authorised Commander Tawake to release the news of the
Fijian peacekeepers were originally deployed to the Sinai under a peace
accord between Israel and Egypt. But the Sinai has become an increasingly
deadly battleground with the Islamic State militants attacking Egyptian
forces and positions.
Fijian troops have been caught in the crossfire.
Edited by Nemani Delaibatiki