DSP Palestinian Public Opinion Poll # 8 July 31 - August 3, 2002
Palestinian Elections, Palestinian Women and Elections, Reforming
Palestinian Institutions, Attitudes toward U.S. Assistance,Priorities for
Date of publication: August 12, 2002
Date of field research: July 31 - August 3, 2002
Sample selection: Multi-stage, random and representative
Sample size: 1,200 Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza Strip
Number of sample locations: 75 locations
Percentage of error: (+/- 3%)
*For more details, visit the Development Studies Programme's homepage at:
Results in percentages
1. Presidential & legislative elections are being considered for
January 2003, what is your position concerning these elections?
Support 54.3 Oppose 37.2 Not Sure 8.5
2. Local council elections are being considered for March 2003, what is
your position concerning these elections?
Support 70.0 Oppose 20.7 Not Sure 9.2
3. Do you think that these elections will speed up the establishment of
a Palestinian State?
Yes 38.4 To some extent 19.8 No 33.9 Don't know/No opinion 7.8
4. Do you think that these elections will lead to significant changes
in the current Palestinian leadership?
Yes 36.5 To some extent 20.1 No 33.7 Don't know/No opinion 9.7
5. Do you think that these elections will lead to real reform in PNA
Yes 44.6 To some extent 21.0 No 27.1 Don't know/No opinion 7.3
6. Do you think that these elections will lead to improvement in
Yes 43.0 To some extent 24.2 No 26.8 Don't know/No opinion 6.1
7. Do you think that these elections will be fair?
Yes 39.4 No 47.3 No opinion 13.3
8. If elections for PLC took place and you decided to participate,
Vote for the current members 15.1 Vote for new ones 60.2 Not sure 24.8
9. If elections for local council in your community took place and you
decided to participate, would you:
Vote for the current members 19.9 Vote for new ones 61.0 Not sure 19.1
10. If a Palestinian woman ran for presidential elections, would you be
ready to vote for her?
Yes 53.9 No 43.2 No opinion 3.0
11. If a Palestinian woman ran for PLC elections, would you be ready to
vote for her?
Yes 70.5 No 27.2 No opinion 2.3
12. If a Palestinian woman ran for local council elections, would you be
ready to vote for her?
Yes 57.3 No 39.8 No opinion 2.9
13. When voting for a candidate, which of the following factors is most
Religious values of candidate 34.1 Educational attainment of candidate
Role in national struggle 25.3 Family ties 2.2 Political affiliation 2.0
14. The political system I would choose for a future Palestinian state is:
Democratic with all political groups represented 41.7
Islamic ruled by an Islamic party 41.8
Presidential as in most Arab countries 13.8
15. How important are the following qualities in a future Palestinian
Ability to represent Palestinian positions on issues of contention with
Very important 74.6 important 19.8 Somewhat important 2.2
Not important 1.6 not at all important 0.4 Don't know/No opinion 1.4
- Committed to "Islamic values"
Very important 70.5 important 21.5 Somewhat important 5.2
Not important 1.5 not at all important 0.7 Don't know/No opinion 0.6
West Bank: Very important 61.3 important 27.2
Gaza Strip:Very important 85.3 important 12.2
- Able to resolve social problems
Very important 59.2 important 35.3 Somewhat important 3.5
Not important 1.2 not at all important 0.2 Don't know/No opinion 0.5
- Possesses a college degree or higher education
Very important 54.6 important 37.3 Somewhat important 5.1
Not important 2.0 not at all important 0.3 Don't know/No opinion 0.6
- Possesses international diplomacy skills
Very important 54.2 important 39.5 Somewhat important 2.9
Not important 1.2 not at all important 0.4 Don't know/No opinion 1.8
- Able to achieve democracy
Very important 52.2 important 37.5 Somewhat important 5.1
Not important 2.5 not at all important 0.6 Don't know/No opinion 2.0
- Possesses global awareness ("worldly")
Very important 50.9 important 40.2 Somewhat important 4.6
Not important 1.9 not at all important 0.7 Don't know/No opinion 1.6
- Possesses military experience
Very important 47.0 important 39.6 Somewhat important 6.8
Not important 4.4 not at all important 0.3 Don't know/No opinion 1.9
- Was active in the "national struggle"
Very important 43.2 important 38.3 Somewhat important 10.1
Not important 6.4 not at all important 1.0 Don't know/No opinion 1.0
16. If presidential and PLC elections took place as being proposed, would
Yes 75.7 No 19.1 Don't know 5.2
17. If the political opposition called for a boycott of the elections, would
Yes 26.5 No 58.7 Don't know 14.7
18. Do you know the names of the new ministers appointed to the latest
Don't know 80.8 Yes, I know 19.2
19. Do you have any information about the 100 - day reform plan prepared by
the new cabinet?
Yes 13.5 No 83.6 Don't know 2.9
20. Do you boycott------ products?
Israeli Yes 61.6 No 37.1 Don't know 1.2
American Yes 63.2 No 34.8 Don't know 2.0
21. Do you believe that the steps taken by the PNA towards reform are
Real reform for the benefit of the Palestinians 25.6
Are in response to US - Israeli dictates 65.4
Don't know 9.0
22. Do you believe that the USA is serious about reforming PNA institutions
or is using this to promote its own political goals?
Serious about reforming PNA institutions 3.2
Using this to promote its own political goals 91.1
Don't know 5.8
23. Do you believe that Palestinian institutions should boycott American
Yes 61.2 No 33.2 Don't know 5.6
24. Do you believe that Palestinian institutions should boycott American
non - governmental funding? Yes 38.8 No 54.4 Don't know 6.8
25. Do you believe that donor countries prioritize funding based on
Palestinian needs or based on their political agenda?
Based on Palestinian needs 17.9 Based on their political agenda 75.4 Don't
26. Do you believe that donor countries are using funding to get further
concessions from the Palestinians concerning national issues?
Yes 62.2 No 27.0 Don't know 10.9
27. Which of the following priorities is most important in your opinion for
funding from donors?
Education 31.0 Provide financial and in -kind assistance to the poor 25.8
Health 13.1 Democracy and human rights 8.2 Water 5.7
Building PNA institutions 5.3 Police and security institutions 1.8
Agriculture 1.1 Sewage systems 1.0 Roads 0.91 Housing 0.91
Develop women status 0.61 Other 2.91 Don't Know 1.5
28. Are you optimistic or pessimistic regarding the future?
Optimistic 49.4 To some extent 19.8 Pessimistic 29.3 No opinion 1.6
29. At the present time, do you feel safe/secure (about yourself, your
family, and property)?
Yes 14.0 To some extent 10.5 No 75.2 Don't know/No opinion 0.2
30. Do you support or oppose the resumption of security coordination
meetings between the Palestinians and Israelis?
Support 43.1 Oppose 50.4 Don't know/No opinion 6.5
31. Do you support or oppose the continuation of negotiations between
Palestinians and Israelis?
Support 54.6 Oppose 41.5 Don't know/No opinion 3.9
32. If Presidential elections took place today and Mr. Yaser Arafat
nominated himself, would you elect him?
Yes 54.5 No 31.2 Not sure 14.3